Sunday, December 11, 2005

Epiphany - Pontious Style....

Friends, this has been one of those days that open you heart and in which you find yourself saying "Christ visited us".

Sunday School was a wonderful experience, we spoke of Mark 2:1-12 and visited the players in the story...the paralytic, his four "cot carriers", the scribes and the crowd. The class would not let me forget that our church has members of each group and that we step up and minister, all in different ways, all playing out the parts of this wonderful story.

It was a good day, before I ever got to the sanctuary.

When you sit on the back row of the choir, and I will remind you that I have the most wonderful seat in the room, singing between two blind men, who lead me to worship on a weekly basis, but the back row does not always allow you to "hear" the music. Rather, you sometimes have to work to hear the message of the music...and it happened today...from the offetory with its hidden lines, to the choir specials...the music touched me and I was primed for the sermon.

So pastor speaks of my old friend John, and his way of telling of one who is coming later...no, I have never been offended by someone sharing their faith walk with me...no matter the content or perspective of that faith walk...and then we read scripure from John, and substituted our own name...powerful perspective changing stuff.

But my epiphany came this year as I sit behind Travis Dunn. My friend Travis has had a life that has been forever changed by a bout of menigitis when he was an infant. In a less "politically correct" time, you would have called Travis "simple". And yet this "simple man" brings me to that place that no other person can. The invitation song was "Redeemed", Travis is singing in front of me at the top of his lungs, almost yelling out the words...it is in that moment that I am overcome with the impact of this song...Redeemed how I love to proclaim it..

You see, the epiphany comes when you least expect it.

It has been a wonderful day already and yet there is still a living nativity and NORCE Bellringing this evening...Christ is with us this day.

Pont

2 Comments:

Blogger Leslee said...

Yes Doc, Jesus visited us today.

5:55 PM, December 11, 2005  
Blogger the sojourning pilgrim said...

Thanks, my friend.

2:49 PM, December 12, 2005  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home