Thursday, September 22, 2005

This thing called Grace

Over the last few weeks we have been studing Phillipians 1 on Wednesday nights. One thing that was pointed out to us that Paul's greeting is almost always "Grace and peace..." Roman 1:7, 1 Corinthians 1:3, 2 Corinthians 1:2, Galatians 1:3, Ephesians 1:2, Phillippians 1:2, Colossians 1:2, 1 Thessalonians 1:1, 2 Thessalonians 1:2, in 1 and 2 Timothy he adds mercy, but is back to just Grace and Peace in Titus and Philemon. Even Peter gets in on the grace and peace movement in 1 & 2 Peter. There are probably more, but I think I've made a point.

So, what is this thing called Grace and why does it always does it always come before peace?

Ok, don't tell anyone, but I cheat sometimes. When other people are looking for a big heavy book to look up words I go to the online Dictionary. I looked up grace and was shocked to see 9 entries! The one that caught my eye was number 8 though.

a. Divine love and protection bestowed freely on people.

So, does that mean when Paul says "Grace and peace" we can subsitute grace for "Divine love and protection"? I like that.

Grace and peace to you today!

1 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Mike Kear said...

Divine love and protection

I like that. I praise God that he so freely pours out this special kind of love and protection on us, in spite of our unworthiness.

Peace,

Mike

5:08 PM, September 22, 2005  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home