Monday, September 26, 2005

I need your help

I'm not afraid to ask for help when I do not understand something. And since you guys are best thinkers I know I'm sure you can help.

Question: What is perseverance?

Romans 5:3-5 NIV says "Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us."

When I looked the word up in the dictionary it said: The steady persistence in adhering to a course of action, a belief, or a purpose; steadfastness.

When I subistitute this diffination in the sentence the words make sense, but the meaning still doesn't quite. "...because we know that suffering produces a stead persistence in adhearing to a purpose(or belief)..."

So help me out, what does this mean?!?!?

3 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Mike Kear said...

The NRSV and the ESV translate perseverance as endurance. Peterson, in The Message translates these verses as, "There's more to come: We continue to shout our praise even when we're hemmed in with troubles, because we know how troubles can develop passionate patience in us, and how that patience in turn forges the tempered steel of virtue, keeping us alert for whatever God will do next. In alert expectancy such as this, we're never left feeling shortchanged. Quite the contrary - we can't round up enough containers to hold everything God generously pours into our lives through the Holy Spirit!"

"Passionate patience." How about that?

5:24 PM, September 26, 2005  
Blogger Leslee said...

Passionate patience... yeah, I can do that. I got started on this because a friend of mine and I were talking about our children and their Monday morning behavior. She said, God has given us there children to teach us "perseverance"... passionate patience, yeah, that sounds about right. Thanks Mike

7:05 PM, September 26, 2005  
Blogger Leslee said...

Thanks Brad, that makes a lot of sense too!

4:04 AM, October 08, 2005  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home