Sunday, October 09, 2005

Worrying about my clothes...

As I listened to the scripture from Matthew being read this morning before the sermon, I leaned over to Mr. Haney who sits by my left hand side (there must be some symbolism there somewhere...) and said "this is bound to be an interesting sermon..."

The wedding feast to which no one would come, so the king sends the servants out into the highways and byways to bring in the HIV infected drug user, his prostitute friends and those folks who get most of their meals down at "Our Daily Bread". My minds eye went beyond the sight to behold to the smell... and all of this is swirling around a wedding feast.

Surely Lord, you would not want me to set foot in this place, with "these" people, drinking up the wine and all of the trimmings...surely not.

I was getting a bit anxious about this parable, then I found my comfort. There was justice, they found the guy that had not "appropriately" dressed for the festivities and he was cast out into the darkness...finally some good old fashion "living up to the rules"...and then Dr. Dunn's words caused my heart to quicken, it was the attitude that this man brought with him, off of the street into the wedding feast...that caused his ejection from the party...

Still playing with this a bit in my head, as someone reminded me that this was one of Christ's common themes...the religious man prays "thank you father that I am not like this publican" while the publican prays "father I am a sinner and not worthy"...

It is becoming much more clear to me about how I must be dressed when I come to the wedding feast.

1 Comments:

Blogger Leslee said...

I think the wedding clothes symbolize our hearts. What shape are they in. Do you have a negative attitue and thereby wearing the dirty dingy clothes? Or do we have a pure heart, a smile on our face and thereby wearing our finest?

1:52 PM, October 12, 2005  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home